Sunday, July 6, 2008

Thing #19

This was so much fun! What intelligent and creative people these designers are. I am definitely marking this page of awards to share with teachers. Two sites I want to share are Lulu and LiveMocha:

Lulu at http://www.lulu.com/ is a publishing tool. How many times have students asked if you know how they could publish their work? Believe me, English teachers get asked this all the time. This site provides for cover design, formatting, editing, ISBNs, printing, buying, and selling their work. This would be a great motivational tool for teachers who assign written work. If students think their work will be published, they will work harder on the product. I see this as a collaborative tool for the visual and language arts. I plan to show the art and language teachers. I will also share it with our yearbook sponsor. I will put this site in my faculty newsletter because you can make cookbooks, calendars etc. with this publishing tool.

Another site I liked was Livemocha at http://www.livemocha.com/
It offers free foreign language courses with self study lessons, text and audio chat tools, and connection with a community of native speakers. Two of the languages are Chinese and Russian. I wish I had known about this for our Russian students. They were often sent to the library because the teacher was not able to accommodate their needs during testing. I could sign them up for a beginning course in English on Livemocha. I’ll have this ready for this coming fall. My ESL teachers will really like exploring the possibilities of Livemocha. I looked at the English courses. There are 4 of them. The first 2 take 50 hours each. The second 2 take 30 hours each. You go at your own pace. If I were traveling to a foreign country, I would consider taking an online Livemocha course in the language of the country to which I planned to travel. Highly motivated students will find this a helpful tool.

6 comments:

LauraAnn said...

Hi, Infomaniac! I tried responding to your post for Thing 20, but the link wouldn't open! So here I am at Thing 19. I wanted to ask about Thing 20: it gets terrible reviews from every blog I've read! What makes it so difficult?

Infomaniac said...

I think the problem with #20 is that some of us need directions in order to do that thing. If it had not been for the reply you got to your posting (I think it was your posting), I would never have known to look for the embedded code that we are supposed to copy. When you find the video on you tube or teacher tube, to the right of it is given the url and under that is the embedded code. You copy the code, click on the edit html tab on the create post blogged screen, and paste the copied code it into the posting. It will appear like a very long url. When you publish the post, believe it or not, that code you posted into the blog will turn into the film. I was shocked to see it work. I don't have any idea how to do Thing #21. I need to have someone who knows how to make video and audio presentations sit down with me and show me. I wish we had more specifics on how these databases work, not just what they are. Definitions are only so helpful. I need more directions--even a brief worksheet would help.

LauraAnn said...

Thanks for the details. I figured out how to embed the video, but I haven't composed the response yet so it waits in the draft box...

Maybe I'll get it done in the morning!

Infomaniac said...

I am so glad you figured it out. I don't know if I will ever be able to figure out thing #21. I am on my 4th day of trying to make something work.

LauraAnn said...

Yipes - four days??? I'd try to e-mail Vaughn B. and see if she can help resolve your problem!

I'm still working on my post for thing 20, trying to find a way to incorporate all of my ideas, but looking ahead to the remaining things intimidates me: what the heck is a ning?? I guess I'll find out when I get there...

Good luck!

Infomaniac said...

Now it is more like a week and a half, BUT I have learned enough about photo story that I can put something together. I just wish this was easier for me because I have gotten absorbed in learning to use the graphic and video tools. It's just that I learn everything the hard way. I may have to e-mail Vaughn to get my work on to the blog, but first I'll try myself. I wonder how many days it will take me this time (If it wouldn't take me an hour, I'll find the graphic generator that had the smilely face and put it here). Thank you for blogging me; your response is an encouragement. I'll look for your posting for 21.