Friday, July 18, 2008

Thing #23

l. What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?

My two most used resources at this point are de.licio.us and photo story. Ever since I saw Naomi Bates’ digital book talks I have wanted to know how to do them. I never knew how to start, however. Well, I got started while taking Library2Play.

2. How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?

The most amazing thing happened to me during this course. I have never had confidence in my ability to learn technology without help. But I learned that if I had to, I could teach myself. Anyone else might think, “You sure didn’t learn much for what is out there,” but I am amazed at myself. I even have several projects at work to use for this school year—projects I never thought I’d be able to learn—AND I taught myself (well, with a little help from your guys). I now have confidence enough to continue developing my skills in technology--to keep on learning.

3. Were there any take-a-ways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?

Maybe I answered some of this question above. I had no idea that there was so much help available from those in a social network. I had relied solely on the TLC listserve for help and advice (by the way, this IS an excellent resource with knowledgeable, helpful librarians) but there is so much more out there. I love the Teacher Librarian Ning. I have 2 digital book talks I am working on and will share when they are presentable, and I plan to develop a Wiki for my book club to use. I have so many sites that I want to share with my teachers too. I love your suggestion to put the URL for our blog on our e-mail signature line and to use it as our School Library blog. I plan to work on mine to do just that.

4. What could we do differently to improve upon this program's format or concept?

2 things:

1. Since there are so many sites to register for, suggest at the beginning a form or procedure for listing our usernames and passwords.
2. I could use some advice (maybe at the beginning) how to prioritize the abundance of information. How do successful web users sort the “wheat from the chaff?”

5. If we offered another discovery program like this in the future, would you choose to participate?

Definitely, yes. In fact, when I completed Thing #22 I thought, "I wonder if there is a follow-up course. " Since there was so much that I didn’t retain as we went along, I plan to go back through the 23 things and pick up even more. However, I would need to work on the program in the summer because I am way too overloaded during the school year.

6. How would you describe your learning experience in ONE WORD or in ONE SENTENCE, so we could use your words to promote 23 Things learning activities?

Those who feel they have only a tenuous grasp of what Library2.0 is all about need to complete these 23 things; awesome!

4 comments:

Blue Eyes blogging said...

I have been watching the clock and waiting for you to post your summary!
I could visualize you carefully loooking everything over to capture the golden nuggets of this experience. I especially related to your line "if I had to, I could teach myself".
I must have missed the suggestion about putting our blog address in our email signature block --but that makes perfect sense and supports my feeling that all these tools support email on steroids.
Yes, we sure registered for a lot of stuff and created lots of passwords. I have a formula I use. When we get together , I'll share with you, and you can share yours with me. Keep writing, Infomaniac, I have you on my blog roll and wan to hear what you have to say!

VWB said...

Sounds like you have thought about a good plan for adding 2.0 into your new school year for the benefit of both you and your students!
Congratulations on completing your summer technoogy adventure.

LauraAnn said...

I definitely agree about the "wheat from chaff" problem. Wouldn't it be nice to have a follow up or refresher course each year or semester that suggests which emerging applications are vital to our continued growth as opposed to those that are just... interesting?

Congratulations on finishing the 23Things. I wonder if you have plans to continue with your blog?

Ms J said...

I agree with you on many things. I was nervous as to whether I would finish, but I did. I had to go back and refresh my mind several times and step away and come back. I am looking forward to the next one!