Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Thing #6




Thing #6


This card was easy to make with the trading card flicker toy. I used an old picture of students in my library. I can see this as a motivation perk to encourage students to read. Teachers could have students design cards to show math formulas, TAKS objectives, vocabulary flashcards, and many more curriculum connections. The trick is learning to use these databases.




I spent many days working with the flicker toys. I made a collage but am unsure how to give credit to the flicker pics so am hesitant to post it. I selected pictures of political figures. I can see a teacher using this for an introduction to a unit in which students have to match the picture to the correct name. At the end of the unit, the students would be able to recognize the people and be able to explain their significance to the area of study, place them in a timeline etc. It took me days to make the pitiful collage. As I thought of students identifying the people in the collage, I kept thinking of the Jay Leno people-on-the-street skit he does. The "Jay All-Stars" are often given a picture of someone to identify--like Ted Kennedy--to which the "Jay All-Stars" will guess--"the Pope?'' or "John Wayne?"











No comments: