Friday, June 20, 2008

Thing #7





I set up a google severe weather alert ("as it happens") in Houston. My library has no windows, and I never know how bad the weather is getting while I am busy with students and classes. Houston has some severe rains (not to mention the hurricane warnings), so I will keep my e-mail up to receive these alerts. It was so easy to do. I also like the calendar. Currently, I use Express, but I liked Google's better. It has clear graphics and is very easy to use. The tabs at the top with week, month etc. view is easier to use that Express. I added a holiday calendar too. You can merge the two calendars or keep them separate. I tried to put the holiday calendar on my blog but so far have had no luck doing so. I keep copying the HTML code they give me into the blog composer, but it is not taking. So you will not get to see this calendar. I can see it when I log on to google. My searches with the google scholar were not as successful as the ones on the excellent databases purchased by our school district. I researched topics that the teachers have used in my library such as critical articles on author's works and the significance of these authors. Most of what I found, however, was available only through purchase. If you wanted to read beyond a preview, you had to buy the book or buy time at a website. I downloaded Google Earth and love it. I have a friend who is going to Aberdeen, Scotland this month and one who is going to Qatar. I spent a lot of time on Google Earth "touring" the terrain, zooming in on the sites, buildings etc. Touring the streets, I felt as though I were in Aberdeen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to also add the weather alert after reading your post, this is a great idea. I also work in a library that does not have windows and many times I do not know what Houston weather awaits me when I am leaving. :) It is also useful so I'll know how many students to expect during lunch. When the weather is nice, my numbers are low since many wish to eat outside versus the dark and dreary library. :)

Infomaniac said...

I was so excited to see that I had a post. Thank you!